Monday, March 22, 2010

Blogging Through Foyle's War with Rachel and Jess and JEN: A Lesson In Murder


Friends! We have a new addition to our Foyle's War club. Meet JEN
By now, I think you know the drill:




So, Foyle's War isn't really a book ---- but who cares because it is written by Anthony Horowitz who is brilliant AND it gives you the same experience as reading a really thoughtful and complex novel because it is a fabulous and engaging character piece. Perhaps, I would say, some of the best writing in television. EVER.So, Jess and Jen I are coupling our insane infatuation with the show from a.) a fangirly, giddy standpoint b.) a reverence for wonderful writing, characters and mood and pulling them together in one conversation.We are both simultaneously watching from the beginning of the series and chatting afterward ( note: Jess and Jen live in Colorado and I live in Toronto )
And away we go....


Episode 3: A Lesson in Murder [a.k.a. as Hello David Tennant, we knew if we gave you enough time, you would show up]


Jess: First of all, let's take a moment to greet our guest stars. Hello, David Tennant and Sophia Myles! It's kind of funny that you're in the same episode of Foyle's War, even though you don't have any scenes together, since in a year or two you'll be in a Doctor Who episode together!


Jen: The conscientious objector's widow was absolutely lovely with how graciously she dealt with the trauma of losing her husband, knowing that there had been a severe injustice committed against him, and knowing that the cause she so deeply believed in was written off as irrelevant and cowardice. I thought she was wonderful. David Tennant, while always endearing was a little odd for me in this role...I subconsciously was waiting the entire time for him to randomly lick something. Don't ask me why.


Jess: I liked Milner's connection with Sophia Myles' character in this episode. I also like that, when Foyle announces he's arresting Sophia Myles' mother for the murder of her husband, she just nods and says, "Okay, let me pack a bag." Loved that.


What else happened in this episode? A conscientious objector was mistreated and hanged himself, Foyle used tricky interrogation tactics to get the policeman/guard responsible to confess, and we see Foyle discussing strategy and logistics with the Home Guard elite, (at least, I think it was the Home Guard) showing that on top of solving murders and whatnot, he's also one of the three or four guys in charge of Hastings' defense. Because he is awesome.


Rachel: What else? That adorable little boy who is sent out to the country for safety purposes and is subsequently killed. (Hello! Break your heart!) Well, it breaks Sam’s heart: we see her crying. Which is depressing because I don’t want ANYTHING to hurt our Sam. Also, cute connection between Sam and the little boy and, come to think of it, Sophia Myles and the little boy. Heartbreaking when the father returns and learns of his son’s death. HEARTBREAKING!


Jen: While the whole deception and arrogance on the bad guy front is always a reoccurring theme in crime based shows, I thoroughly enjoyed how this episode contrasted the "evil" of Mr. Gascoigne's plot line with the obvious innocence of the little boy constantly observing and taking notes and eventually being the Gascoigne family's undoing. I love that both Mr. & Mrs. thought of him as a useless pain while generally alluding to him being stupid and it was his cleverness that exposed and solved the whole plot line.




Rachel: Also, we get a flashback into the early life of our fair Foyle: apparently Rosalind Foyle and Christopher Foyle frequented the Italian restaurant Carlo and his son own and run. I love that Sam weasels her way into dinner with Foyle and they are both strongly warned about the lasagna. I am always interested to see how rations effected eating out.


Jess: I like seeing Foyle's life outside the police station.


Rachel: Then, Carlo’s son has a crush on Sam and it is adorable to watch Foyle watching the two of them. Also, Foyle ( and the audience) get to see Sam with her hair (literally) down for the first time--- when she goes to a dance with Tony. I really enjoyed that subplot of the story and the developing repartee between Foyle and Sam.


Jen: I love Sam and how willing she is to do whatever she can to support the people around her. She is so open and generous and just lovely. And I love that she's obsessed with food. I love a heroine-type gal that I can relate to.


Rachel: Milner was around in this episode, too, though not as much. Oh, and in the ongoing theme of “I HATE EVERY WOMAN THAT PAUL MILNER IS WITH THROUGHOUT THE SERIES: ESPECIALLY JANE MILNER”: Jane Milner leaves to stay with her sister because she is a rotten cow.





Jess: Milner's wife is AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL TO HIM. Ohhhh, that whole dinner scene in which she doesn't want to see his leg and how paperwork is all he can handle these days and she's just running off to Wales and abandoning him and I WANT TO PUNCH HER IN THE FACE. She's horrible.




Jen: Though it has already been stated quite well, I don't think it can be said enough: Jane Milner is evil. I have a difficult time restraining my language when talking about her. I may be calling her horrid names in my head...things that rhyme with 'bore' and 'hitch.'
And finally, because it must be said: FOYLE MAKES MY HEART SMILE.




**Rachel: OBLIGATORY ANDREW SENTENCE**
You all that this was the cat's meow? Wait 'til we get to Eagle Day: then we really knock your socks off!

2 comments:

Jess said...

YAY. I need to get mine up before I head out to CA! And I need to get EAGLE DAY to Jen so she can add her thougths!

STOP GETTING IN MY WAY, REAL LIFE. I HAVE FOYLE BLOGGING TO DO.

Melwyk said...

Yes to all of this! I love Paul Milner & I spit on Jane. Now I want to watch the whole series again.